5 minutes of this breathing exercise reduces stress and has other benefits
Yoga has a range of breathing techniques to help you to achieve overall well-being, calm your mind, reduce stress, boost metabolism, and immunity.
Anulom Vilom, also known as the alternate breathing technique, is excellent for respiratory problems and asthma. It has several other benefits:
- Reduces stress, anxiety, and depression
- Improves digestive health
- Reduces chronic sinus problems and snoring
- Improves blood circulation
- and many more.
How to do Anulom Vilom
- Sit in the Padmasana (with crossed legs), keep your back straight, and close your eyes. Rest your left hand on your right knee.
- Close your right nostril with your right thumb. Inhale slowly through your left nostril to get your lungs full of air.
- Remove your thumb from the right nostril, close your left nostril and exhale from the right nostril.
- Next, inhale through your right nostril and close your right nostril and exhale from the left nostril.
- Repeat this procedure for 3-5 minutes or for as long as you feel comfortable. Don't force it.
It is advised to do this breathing exercise on an empty stomach, preferably in the morning. If done at any other time, it needs at least 4-5 hours gap after eating. Here is a great video on how to do Anulom Vilom.
If you have any medical concerns or feel uncomfortable while doing this exercise, talk with your doctor before practicing yoga.